Sustaining an injury is never pleasant, especially when it is not your fault. Along with the often intense physical pain associated with your injury comes the emotional frustration. One all-too-common personal injury we see in Los Angeles is related result of slip and fall accidents. Slip-and-fall accidents happen quite often in the United States. In fact, there are an estimated one million slip-and-fall injuries every year in this country. This number is shocking and could be far less if retailers and businesses took proper safety precautions.
The injuries that are commonly associated with slip-and-fall accidents in Los Angeles, California include:
- Broken bones – Falling on hard surfaces such as cement or tile can cause severe trauma to your body.
- Head injuries – Falling on your head can cause injuries such as a concussion, a coma, or amnesia.
- Bruises – Also known as a contusions, bruises are very common with slip and fall injuries. The impact of landing on a hard surface can cause the capillaries to break, causing a contusion. Some bruises last for weeks.
- Cuts – Landing on sharp or pointy objects can lead to cuts and scrapes on your body. Bleeding can pose great danger if not properly treated.
- Death – Unfortunately, there are about 20,000 deaths each year in the United States caused by slip and falls.
Your slip and fall lawyer will work with you to prove that the business where your slip and fall took place is liable for your injuries. To be legally responsible for the injuries you suffered from slipping or tripping and falling on someone else’s property, one of the following must be true:
- The owner of the premises or an employee must have caused the spill, worn or torn spot, or other slippery or dangerous surface or item to be underfoot.
- The owner of the premises or an employee must have known of the dangerous surface but done nothing about it.
- The owner of the premises or an employee should have known of the dangerous surface because a “reasonable” person taking care of the property would have discovered and removed or repaired it.
If you have been injured due to a slip and fall that may have been caused by the negligence of another, you may be entitled to compensation for they physical and emotional damages you have suffered. Contact an experienced Los Angeles slip and fall attorney to discuss your legal options.
The aggressive personal injury lawyers at BIKLAW will fight for your legal rights. Contact them today.