Wondering what insurance companies look at when determining who was at fault in a Los Angeles automobile accident? Whether you were driving a car or riding a motorcycle, the insurance companies issues are the same: how much do we have to pay out on behalf of our policyholder? Obviously, the answer for many California auto insurance providers is ‘As little as possible.’ If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident or motorcycle accident, make sure you get the help you deserve. That includes the necessary medical care, as well as the assistance of a skilled car accident lawyer in Los Angeles.
If you have been injured in a car accident or motorcycle wreck in Los Angeles, your insurance company will likely get involved. This means that you will need to speak to your insurance provider after the accident so that they can get information from you and begin to conduct their own investigation. What does a insurance company auto accident investigation look like? While every insurance company is different, there are many common questions that insurance agents ask. For starters, you might expect the insurance agent to:
- Ask you questions about what happened. These questions are crucial. As any experienced auto accident lawyer will tell you, do not lie. But at the same time, be very careful not to admit fault or minimize the extent of your injuries. Simply give the facts that you remember about the accident. Or hire a lawyer to act on your behalf.
- Ask for documentation from your medical providers regarding your injuries. Did you visit the emergency room or your family doctor after being involved in a Los Angeles car accident? Your insurance provider will want to see documentation.
- Ask for documentation regarding your time away from work. As your lawyer will point out, you might be able to recover damages for lost wages. Keeping detailed work records is crucial.
- Inspect any physical damage to your car or motorcycle. If your automobile (car, truck, or bike) was damaged in the accident, wait on repairs until the damage has been documented by the insurance agent.
- >Give instructions for seeking repair estimates.You might be required by your insurance company to take your automobile to a specific body shop for repairs.
- Review witness statements and police reports and talk the other driver(s) involved about what happened. In order to get the ‘full picture.’
- Attempt to determine who was at fault in the accident.
This list is not exhaustive nor indicative of every insurance companies post-accident guidelines. The list is a brief example of the types of questions you might be asked and shows that the process can be long, tedious, and stressful. Make sure a skilled car accident lawyer is on your side. The right Los Angeles motorcycle accident / car accident attorney can also help you deal with the insurance claims process, which can be confusing and tiresome. You want to be confident that you are getting the money you deserve after a car or motorcycle accident in Los Angeles.
If you feel uncomfortable speaking to the insurance adjustors on your own, or if you need help filing an insurance claim after an LA auto accident, reach out to the accident attorneys at BIKLAW today for answers.