Unfortunately, sexual assault is one of the most common crimes that is committed in the United States. It is good that there has been a significant amount of attention paid to sexual assault during the past few years. The #MeToo movement has shined an important light on sexual assault issues, making a lot of people more comfortable coming forward. Unfortunately, this does not necessarily mean that sexual assault is any less common.
There are several important sexual assault statistics in 2021 that people need to be aware of. It is important for everyone to know what they should do if they have been sexually assaulted.
Statistics About Sexual Assault in 2021
There are several alarming statistics regarding sexual violence. These include:
- Only approximately five percent of all reported sexual assaults have been proven false. This indicates that people who have been sexually assaulted need to be believed.
- Approximately 90 percent of adult victims of rape are women.
- More than 80 percent of all victims of child sexual assault are female.
- Nearly one out of every six adolescents suffered sexual assault at some point during the past year.
- More than 40 percent of all the women in the United States have encountered sexual assault at some point in their lives.
These are just a few of the many heartbreaking statistics related to sexual assault. If you have been assaulted, what should you do?
What Should You Do if You Have Been Assaulted?
If you have been sexually assaulted, it is easy to get overwhelmed by what has happened to you. You may be wondering what you should do next, and you could be searching for answers. Most importantly, you should remember that you do not have to go through this experience on your own. A few important tips you should follow include:
- You need to tell someone what has happened to you. Whether this is a family member, a friend, or a co-worker, let someone know what has happened. They will be there for you.
- You need to go to the doctor to get examined. The vast majority of medical practices have someone who has been specifically trained to help people who have been assaulted. They can make sure you are physically okay, collect evidence that may be useful, and provide you with resources you can use to start on the road to recovery.
- You should report what has happened to the police. They can open a file to get the investigation started.
Finally, you should also reach out to a sexual assault attorney who can let you know what your options are. Here at The Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq., we have experienced attorneys who know how to gently and effectively handle sexual assault cases.
Rely on a Sexual Assault Attorney Who Can Defend Your Rights
If you have been sexually assaulted, you deserve to have your rights defended. We have experience helping victims of sexual assault, and it would be our honor to help you as well. We will listen to what has happened to you without judgment or reservation. Our compassionate team is here for you. Contact The Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq. today to speak to a sexual assault attorney.