No matter how big or small, car accidents in Los Angeles can be stressful and scary. The adrenaline rush of preparing to hit or be hit, or the surge of emotions that rush through you after you are hit can leave even the most stoic person a little shaken up. Once an auto accident victims determines that he and his loved ones are safe, the fear associated with the financial costs of a car accident come into play. The long insurance battle that may or may not result in you receiving the money you deserve… The medical bills associated with whiplash or other car accident injuries… These fears can prevent many Los Angelenos from taking the legal action they need in order to best protect themselves.
Many Los Angeles car accident victims are overwhelmed by the idea of suing for personal injury damages because they believe that such legal action is difficult and costly to pursue. However, at the Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, MD, Esq. we offer a free consultation about your case and will be honest with you from the beginning about how much, if any, in damages you might be able to recover. Additionally, knowing the basics of how to care of yourself or a loved one after a car accident in Los Angeles, including the fundamentals of recovering money for payments to receive compensation from the liable parties, will make the post-Los Angeles car accident process a bit easier.
Involved in a Los Angeles car accident? Here are a few dos and don’ts to consider before and while claiming compensation for injuries:
1. Get Medical Assistance – Immediately after the accident, seek medical attention. Even if you do not believe that you or your loved ones were injured, some car accident injuries show up days later. By seeking out medical help, you can be assured that your injuries, if any, will be treated and properly documented. That being said, it is wise to keep all medical records, receipts, and prescriptions given by the attending physician or nurse.
2. Take Pictures – Los Angeles car accident victims are advised to take photographs of the accident scene and injuries. With the availability of smart phones and other camera phones, taking pictures is much easier. As an experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer can attest, photos can serve as strong evidence during a claim for financial damages. Photos can help you strengthen your claim leading to potentially more compensation from the liable party.
3. Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer – car accident victims are advised to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. A Los Angeles car accident attorney can analyze your potential case to see if you can properly pursue your claim. Additionally, the right lawyer can help you deal with insurance companies, ensuring that you receive sufficient and just compensation. Also, there is a statute of limitations in California that says you cannot bring a lawsuit after a certain period of time, so do not delay in reaching out to a lawyer.
4. Let Your Lawyer Talk to Insurance – Do not attempt to negotiate with the insurance company by yourself. Not only can it be a frustrating and time consuming experience, you want the assistance of a skilled Los Angeles car accident lawyer to make sure you receive the money you deserve.
5. Do Not Contact the Third Party – Instead of working out a deal with the liable party, the driver who hit you, let your personal injury lawyer negotiate on your behalf. You can only sue for the same claim once, and you want to make sure you do it right the first time.
California law protects car accident victims. If you were injured in a car accident in Los Angeles, you have the legal right to sue for personal injury damages. This means that you may be entitled to compensatory damages, which includes payments for loss of income, hospitalization and medication expenses, pain and suffering damages, and others.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a Los Angeles car accident and are suffering physically and financially because of someone else’s negligence (such as texting and driving or drinking and driving), contact an experienced Los Angeles car accident lawyer today. You might be able to recover money for your injuries, including compensatory damages. The law is on your side and so are the experienced accident lawyers at The Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, MD, Esq.