Nursing home abuse is a problem in Los Angeles and throughout the state. In fact, an unsettling report from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services shows that several nursing homes were found to have serious violations of safety and health issues for patients. Recent data collected by the National Center on Elder Abuse suggests that one in three nursing home residents may be subject to some form of elder abuse or neglect. If you or your loved one has been the victim of elder abuse, contact an experienced Los Angeles nursing abuse lawyer.
Common abuses in nursing homes include sexual assault, verbal and physical abuse, and dangerous neglect. In the recent nursing home abuse incident:
- At least one facility used lockdowns as punishment for alleged patient violations
- One facility banned belts for residents after an attempted suicide, leaving many elders without any way to dress properly and maintain dignity
- One patient was left with chest pain for more than 12 hours before a doctor was called; the patient subsequently died in a hospital emergency room
- Verbal abuse by staff members
- A dementia patient drowned in a nearby creek after having been missing for 24 hours
- Two residents died from unidentified illnesses that resulted in fevers of at least 104 degrees and no emergency calls were placed for medical aid
- Inappropriate dosing of medicine
- Six residents were sexually abused at one home — even after complaints from other residents
These are unfortunate and not uncommon examples of how elders can be mistreated at negligent or dangerous Los Angeles nursing homes. Your elder loved one may have been abused or neglected in another manner. If you believe your family member has been abused or neglected in a nursing home, it is important that you contact a elder abuse attorney immediately to determine the proper legal steps to take to protect your loved one.
For more information on nursing home abuse in Los Angeles, or to discuss your potential elder abuse case, contact the experienced elder lawyers at BIKLAW today.