Choosing an attorney is an important decision no matter what your case or circumstances. However, when it comes to medical malpractice cases, the attorney you choose is of special importance due to the specialized nature of medical malpractice. In these types of cases, knowledge of the law is simply not enough. Your medical malpractice attorney must also have a trained understanding of the medical issues that are inextricably intertwined with legal issues. Our Los Angeles-based medical malpractice attorneys are often sought out for these types of cases precisely because Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq., is not only a licensed attorney but is also a licensed doctor and surgeon in California.
What is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, a supervised member of medical staff, or a hospital, is responsible for a medical error that results in injury or death of a patient under their care. Medical malpractice claims rely on the theory that the medical error, whatever it may be, was otherwise preventable, but due to negligence or a deviation from the standard of care, that error resulted in harm. This error could be either an act (something wrong that someone did) or an omission (failing to do something they should have been done).
Just a few examples of medical malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose a disease
- Delayed diagnosis
- Medication errors
- Surgery errors
Once these errors occur, they can result in:
- Bodily injury, such as loss of a limb
- Brain injury, including severe brain damage
- Unnecessary pain and suffering
- Increased medical care costs
- Decreased quality of life
How Do I Choose a Medical Malpractice Attorney?
There are many personal injury lawyers out there, especially here in Los Angeles, that advertise that they handle medical malpractice cases. However, since the area of medical malpractice is so specialized, you are ill-advised to trust your case to just anyone, especially one that does not have a clear understanding of medicine and surgery. Here are several important considerations when choosing a Los Angeles medical malpractice attorney:
- Is the attorney a medical doctor who has the medical training necessary to professionally evaluate your case and what could be crucial medical errors? Or is he or she “just” an attorney, who will have a difficult time evaluating and understanding the medical aspects of your case?
- How many of the cases accepted by the firm go to trial? If the percentage is low, the firm may be settling cases for less than their true value because the lawyer lacks the medical knowledge and expertise required to win a medical malpractice case in front of a jury.
- Does the lawyer charge you hourly fees upfront, or do they take cases on a contingency basis? A medical malpractice attorney who is confident in their abilities will usually take your case on contingency, meaning they don’t get paid unless you are compensated.
At the Trial Law Offices of Bradley I. Kramer, M.D., Esq., our founder Dr. Kramer handles many medical malpractice cases that other Los Angeles attorneys simply do not have the experience or confidence to take to trial. Our office regularly represents clients with serious personal injuries throughout California, New York, Illinois, Nevada, and Arizona, including difficult medical malpractice cases. For a free consultation with a Los Angeles medical malpractice lawyer, call (310) 289-2600 or visit us online to have your case reviewed today.